Arrested terrorist snatches cop’s AK-47 at J&K police base, shot dead after 12 hrs | India News


SRINAGAR: An arrested Hizbul Mujahideen terrorist holed up in a police interrogation room with a snatched AK-47 rifle was gunned down by security forces in Srinagar‘s Tral early Thursday, capping a dramatic 12-hour sequence of events that had started with him grabbing a constable’s weapon in the middle of a grilling session and firing several rounds to send half a dozen cops running for cover.
IGP (Kashmir range) Vijay Kumar said the slain terrorist, Muhammad Amin Malik, was being questioned at the Special Operations Group‘s base in Tral, around 45km from Srinagar, on Wednesday afternoon when he lunged at constable Amjad Khan, snatched his Kalashnikov rifle and opened fire indiscriminately. While Amjad was critically injured in the attack, a colleague who took a bullet in his chest was saved by his bulletproof vest.
As Amin locked himself up in the room, every attempt to get him to surrender was greeted with a hail of bullets until he apparently ran out of ammunition. He refused to give himself up even at the pleading of his mother, the IGP said.
“Sensing grave danger to the lives of the police personnel and to Amin himself, his mother and an executive magistrate were brought on the site in a bid to persuade him to throw away the weapon and surrender,” the police said in an official statement. “After failing to ensure his surrender, the terror operative was engaged in a gunfight, following the rules and SOP of such engagement, and was neutralised.”
Amin had been arrested on May 30 with arms, ammunition, explosives, nine phones and other items used to make improvised explosive devices. Known to be an old Hizbul hand, he had been previously arrested once in 2003. His brother Shabir Malik, a member of the terror outfit Ansar Gazwat-ul-Hind, was killed in an encounter with security forces in 2019.
J&K police have instituted an inquiry into possible procedural lapses and dereliction of duty during Wednesday’s interrogation of Amin, leading to the stand-off that culminated in his killing the next morning. “An inquiry panel headed by a senior officer has been tasked to find out how Amin managed to snatch a weapon and open fire at police personnel. The main responsible person (constable Amjad) has sustained injuries and is being treated at a Srinagar hospital,” a spokesperson said. “The injured policeman will be questioned when he recovers.”
The inquiry will be completed in a fortnight. A case has already been registered at Tral police station and the slain terrorist’s body sent to the police hospital in Srinagar for medico-legal formalities.

Source link

Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please disable your Ad-Blocker in order to view our site