According to sources in the department, Basu sought a report from Das on the action being taken regarding more than 20,000 students who could not clear the state board Class XII exams. After the meeting, Das said the matter would be sorted out soon and that all headmasters had been told to submit the relevant marks.
“The protests, which have broken out at various schools in the state, have embarrassed the government. The education minister met the HS council president on Tuesday evening in an effort to solve the problems,” said an official of the department. Of the 8,20,000 HS candidates, close to 24,000 have failed the Plus-II boards, leading to widespread protests in Bengal. “Since this is a pandemic year, the state wants everybody to pass,” said the official.
You have successfully cast your vote
The council has instructed heads of schools, where students are upset with their poor boards marks, to again submit the scores, along with relevant documents, for a review. But the way protests spread in different schools in the state the government wants an immediate solution to the issue.
“A student passed Class X to reach Class XI and then Class XII. So, it is strange that same student failed the HS, the results of which was calculated, based on his two previous examinations—X and XI— which he cleared. It seems there has been some error in calculating the marks,” said the headmaster of a school in Kolkata.
The council cancelled the Higher Secondary examinations this year owing to the pandemic. The final scores were calculated after factoring in marks from Class X boards, Class XI annual exams and projects and practicals conducted in Class XII. Other boards, like CISCE and CBSE, too, cancelled their classes X and XII examinations and devised different formulae to assess the students.